Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Did therapy work for your social anxiety

Has anyone here ever been to a therapist/psychiatrist?
I'm thinking of going in for my severe social anxiety, but unless they're loading me up on medication, I don't see how they can fix me. For the last few years I've been popping vicodin just so I can function outside of my house without staring at the floor, or constantly biting my lip, but I know that's going to kill my liver if I keep up with it.




They don't help.
Went to a therapist for four years, still just as nervous now as I was then. F**king quacks.

apparently I have to go get checked for narcissistic personality disorder but it won't help
I don't feel comfortable a stranger knowing things about me things I wish I didn't know about myself

I went to a psychiatrist once and got sent to a psychologist of some kind for personality tests.
I convinced them both I was just crazy enough to get out of sh*t I didn't want to do but not quite crazy enough to need treatment.
PS. I LOL'd.

inb4 this thread derails into a zooey thread
As a psychology student I have to say cognitive behavioral therapy is a pretty good option. Don't go into bullsh*t psychoanalysis or humanistic therapy though.

Depression runs in my family. Therapy has helped me greatly in the past and has helped my mother as well. On the other hand, therapy has done nothing to help with my brother's severe depression.
apparently I have to go get checked for narcissistic personality disorder but it won't help
I don't feel comfortable a stranger knowing things about me things I wish I didn't know about myself

Pretty sure narcissism is like anti-social personality disorder in that it's largely regarded as untreatable.

Doesn't do sh*t.
Smoke weed instead. No damage to liver. Very calming.

Mine helped a lot, OP. You;ve just gotta be willing to actually try a little. You can't expect to go a few times and then everythings all better because thats not how sh*t works. You've gotta work towards something and they will greatly aid you in that process. They make it a lot easier than trying it on your own, even if you don't get any drugs from them.

If you are near my place I'll help you OP.

Therapy was great for my social anxiety.
I literally could not walk into a store if there was an attractive girl working there. My legs would completely freeze, and I could only convince my mind to move them if I turned around and ran back to the car. I also couldn't even call for delivery without needing to write the whole thing out on paper before, and even so, I still stuttered while making the order. Not to mention, my "successful" trips outside consisted of me staring at the floor and walking with my hands firmly clinging to the inside of my pockets.
I can do all of that stuff now, and I even have a girlfriend. Changed my life completely.

I'm currently on a waiting list with a pychiatrist to see what the balls is wrong with me. Anxiety, depression or worst case scenario- biplolar.
I want drugs though. None of this talking it out BS.

I've found they help you realize things you've never thought of/realize before. It changes your perspective and helps you to understand yourself better or find out various unconscious beliefs/assumptions that you realize is sh*t. Just verbalizing all the sh*t you never really verbalize with someone who's studied human behavior can help a lot too. It's like being stuck on a programming problem, and then realizing what wrong when you actually start talking about it. Except that person is a better programmer than you.

Talk therapy that isnt cognitive behavioural therapy doesnt have a very high success rate, so only go for it if you think it'd work for you.
Humanistic therapy worked quite well for me though, it helped me to manage and understand my social anxiety until I eventually understood why it was so bad. Little tricks like being aware my feet on the ground or touching something solid when a panic attack was rising managed to keep it from spilling over.

For lots of people, the "talking cure" works. There is a small minority for whom it doesn't work, that's fine and all. Then there are people who don't let it work, in that they don't tell the therapist person everything, or they don't think about what was said in the sessions when out of the sessions or whatever. Also, there are some sh*t psychiatrists/therapists out there, or more accurately, certain head-doctors are better for you than other head doctors.
It had been helping me to see a psychotherapist, I doubt my problems are going to go away after just 6 hours of therapy, but using the things i've learned in that time the future is looking a little better for me than it did. One step at a time.

I used to have an anxiety disorder, psychiatrist wanted to load me up on meds, my mother didn't want me to (this was back when I was like... 14?). It ended up going away entirely, but I think that's mainly because of changes in the situation that was causing me anxiety than any amazing therapy-ing. Still was helpful I think.

this is the first thread i saw just when i was thinking about my problems and my need for therapy,i am now fully convinced of only two things being the answer:
1.we all think alike to the point of it being extremely predictable
2.your all spying on me and seek to destroy me and make fun of me
what would a therapist say about this?

i had six sessions when I got out of the army. you have to be careful and know who you are getting advice from. some of these people are unqualified to be talking to your cat, much less give you advice. my therapist told me to take supplements. apparently she takes 20 a day. GABA, SHA (whatever they are), etc., that sh*t you find at GNC that isn't near-steroids. she also told me that I should get a job at Starbucks so that I could talk to people. my gf works at Starbucks and I think that job would drive me up a freaking wall.
most of the treatment was just me talking and her giving crap advice. she also showed up late twice. i could have saved my time and went out to a bar every night. some people just need to talk to someone.

i once went to a psychiatrist. I just had some issues with my thinking.
It mainly was my thoughts racing and having a different perception of reality for a small period of time or I would analyze things a lot. She helped me and now I can take advantage of the super analyzing brain. Sh*t's so cash, but stressful.

Therapists and drugs don't help at all.
Save your money and get a hooker.

first, if your condition is severe, you need to go to a psychiatrist because a therapist just talks to people and you need someone who will prescribe you medication.
second, you don't have to be loaded up on medication for it to be effective. first line anxiety treatments are the same as depression treatments. they give you an SSRI, and it takes a few weeks to start working. if you're having panic attacks, they might also give you something to take as needed like xanax
third, you should also do therapy, but not just any bullsh*t. find a cognitive behavioral therapist. cbt is very good for anxiety because it teaches you how to deal with it properly.
fourth, you need to get your opiate addiction under control. that stuff messes with your brain really hard. i know it feels good, and i used it to treat my mild depression and anxiety problems, but it will f**k you up in the long run if you don't get off of it.

this is the first thread i saw just when i was thinking about my problems and my need for therapy,i am now fully convinced of only two things being the answer:
1.we all think alike to the point of it being extremely predictable
2.your all spying on me and seek to destroy me and make fun of me
what would a therapist say about this?

well... I am not expert, but I m sure he would say that you 're wrong on both things.
He would also make you understand it.
But again.. I am not an expert, it's my opinion.

Has anyone here ever been to a therapist/psychiatrist?
I'm thinking of going in for my severe social anxiety, but unless they're loading me up on medication, I don't see how they can fix me. For the last few years I've been popping vicodin just so I can function outside of my house without staring at the floor, or constantly biting my lip, but I know that's going to kill my liver if I keep up with it.

yeah i had some anxiety problems, i got sick in school a couple times and i started freaking out about it and couldn't muster the strength to go to school. i would always feel like sh*t and have diarrhea all day. i would only feel better until school let out for the day, but it eventually developed into anxiety over leaving the comfort of my home. my basic experience with a psychiatrist is that they're f**king lame. i got over all of this sh*t on my own. if you really have a hard time with anxiety i suggest you go to your doctor about it. he can prescribe zoloft or something, it's not solely a depression drug, it helped me a lot with anxiety until i felt comfortable and slowly weened off of it.

I've been seeing a pschiatrist and taking medication for about a year now.
It seems worthwhile to me if only to have someone I feel I have no obligation to and who won't pressure or judge me on important matters. Maybe it's just me but I still find it hard. I mean I'm not severely depressed and suicidal like I was when I started. But it's not entirely gone. Every problem I overcome, a larger one lies ahead so I just have to keep working with them to reach a state where I can initiate a change. The internal conflict is horrible.
A psychiatrist doesn't fix you. Medication doesn't fix you. They help you fight. They help you find the will to fight. It's hard. god why is it so hard
anyway my sh*t wasnt directly related to dealing with people at first. deep personal issues of self worth


well... I am not expert, but I m sure he would say that you 're wrong on both things.
He would also make you understand it.
But again.. I am not an expert, it's my opinion.

what if im not wrong? there are far too many things i see here on web every day for it to be a coincidence,SOMEONE on here,whether its all of you or one of you,is spying on me,and i dont like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment