Monday, August 23, 2010

Conditioned by years of bullying to assume that any compliment is intended as an insult

Post ITT if you've been conditioned by years of bullying to assume that any compliment is intended as an insult.




What do you mean you like my shirt? WHAT DO YOU MEAN?!

No but even the most serious insults don't phase me, I'm a complete pu**y.

Reporting in for duty, sir

I hate this. I always assume someone is making fun of me. I used to do it a lot more.

lol no
But I have conditioned myself to not take people seriously when they compliment me, because I figure I could always be doing better.
Hurray for the mentality of self-improvement!

I usually do feel that way, but I don't think it's due to bullying. How are these things related?

Hey I see your having fun playing the victim card but bullying doesn't cause that.
Low self esteem does.

Used to. Still kinda do but not so much now.

Hey look, the red is all where natives are prevalent

I almost never recieved compliments from women throughout all of middleschool and highschool.
Suddenly in university I work on my looks a bit and start trying to dress better and when a woman gives me a compliment or tries to flirt with me, I either think shes lying and I'm going to get blood poured on me like in Carrie or I don't even pick up on it until afterwards because I'm dumbfounded by the attention.
Sh*t sucks, OP.

I usually do feel that way, but I don't think it's due to bullying. How are these things related?

A really passive aggressive form of bullying is to give snide remarks under the guise of complements. I assume girls do it more than guys, but that's just from my personal experience. For example
>Walk into school, hair is messy
>"Haha, nice hair do man."

This chick wrote me a love letter, she really put a lot into it, I assumed it was a prank, and I threw it away while she was watching.
Weeks later, the chick's cousin told me that she dug me, I really didn't believe him at all, until he pointed across the room and she was all smiling and waving like a retard. I had no idea what to even say to her.
Junior high is f**king stupid.

Naw, I just focus on my flaws a lot that I just assume sarcasm when someone throws a compliment at me.

not at all to what the op says but, that map kinda makes me want to move to WI

Mostly.
Doesn't really matter, compliments wouldn't have done anything for me anyway.......

Never been bullied in my life. Grew up in Washington State.
Enjoy your emotional trauma.

Somewhat, usually when im in a bad mood to begin with.
But when I figure something is an actual compliment I get flustered.

What do you say when someone compliments you?
Thanks?
God damn it 18 years of no compliments and sudden explosion of compliments.

Post ITT if you've been conditioned by years of bullying to assume that any compliment is intended as an insult.

oh god i thought i was the only one.
in 8th grade, my crush liked me but i thougt shew as teasing me. she drew hearts on my notebook and joked with me but i thought she was just trying to embarass me. i could have f**ked the first girl i ever liked if only i wasn't conditioned to think that all affection was fake and intended to hurt me

I was told wisconsin consumes the most alcohol per capita of any ..well nation in the world. We drink a lot here.

I was never really bullied a lot when I was younger, but still had low self-esteem.
I take any compliment that is not obviously true as a veiled insult or just respond with a "heh...thanks"

What do you say when someone compliments you?
Thanks?
God damn it 18 years of no compliments and sudden explosion of compliments.

ah god me too, I usually say "really? Hey thanks!" and sound like a teenager in a cheesy '70s movie.

IF YOU SMILE THEY WILL LAUGH.
Do not smile. Do not say thank you. They win if you are pleased with the compliment because they will just laugh at you.

What do you say when someone compliments you?
Thanks?
God damn it 18 years of no compliments and sudden explosion of compliments.

I know what you mean.
A student complimented me really really highly in lecture and I didn't know how to deal with it. I actually kind of flipped out, my palms got sweaty and I felt nauseous.

I was told wisconsin consumes the most alcohol per capita of any ..well nation in the world. We drink a lot here.

No.
1st place are the Czech
2nd are Estonians

IF YOU SMILE THEY WILL LAUGH.
Do not smile. Do not say thank you. They win if you are pleased with the compliment because they will just laugh at you.

nah, you still lose if you say nothing. You've gotta pick on their weakest point;
-chubby girl compliments you, you swiftly respond with "thanks tubby"
-guy in a wheelchair smiles at you, hit back at him with "nice wheels"
Go get those bastards

Nope, but I have laughed a lot thanks to some of the things I've heard people say. Some people don't realize how funny they are when they say silly things.

Nope, except from good friends, I take even joking insults or light teasing very personally, at least at my initial reaction. I have to consciously think about whether the person means it or not. I have been getting better about this though.

No comments:

Post a Comment